Point of Ayre Lighthouse

Point of Ayre Lighthouse

The Point of Ayre lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse on the Isle of Man. It was designed and built by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of prolific writer and novelist Robert Louis Stevenson, and was first lit in 1818. The light has a nominal range of around 19 miles (31 km) at an elevation of 32 metres (105 ft). Painted with two distinctive red bands, the light can be seen clearly from across the water in south-west Scotland. Owing to the continuous accumulation of shingle and gravel deposited by the strong currents, a smaller light commonly referred to as a 'winkie' had to be built 750 feet (230 m) to the seaward side of the main tower in 1899. This was then repositioned a further 250 feet (76 m) in the same direction and for the same reasons in 1950. The 'winkie' light was discontinued on 7 April 2010